How to Become a Data Governance ExpertBack to the Blog Archive
In September 2015, Collibra introduced Collibra University, an online learning and certification platform. Our vision for Collibra University is to help data citizens worldwide expand their data governance skillset. Today, there are hundreds of active users completing thousands of courses every month. And just as the world of data governance itself is growing, so are our university offerings.
New (Free!) Courses
Over the past six months, we have added new courses to respond to the changing landscape of data governance use cases. The primary audience for the first three courses is stewards. These course are also prerequisites for certification. The primary audience for the last course is developers. It is a prerequisite for developer certification. Here are a few of our most popular.
- Report Certification and Watermarking helps you understand the report certification process, explain the different roles, and describe the difference between traceability and lineage.
- A Day at the Data Helpdesk teaches all about the key steward tasks at the Data Help Desk, a key component of data service management, where all data-related issues are handled in an efficient and cost-effective way, relying on the underlying data.
- Guide to Good Definitions helps data stewards learn more about the characteristics of a well-written definition. You’ll learn the things to do – and not to do – when writing a good definition.
- Collibra Connect Upsert Asset Operation is a course for developers to help them understand the purpose of the upsert asset operation and how to execute upsert asset operation integration using Anypoint Studio and Collibra Connect.
In addition to the many new courses, we’ve also created a fictional company, ACME Enterprise, that you’ll use throughout the courses. In our short video, you can meet the characters who work at ACME Enterprise, and see the key roles and responsibilities that these characters face at their organization.
In addition to our new courses, we’ve also launched five data governance certifications:
- Steward: a certified Steward can participate in use cases such as report certification and data help desk, write good definitions, run validation rules, and more.
- Community Manager: a certified Community Manager can conceptually design the operating model, assign roles and responsibilities, create and share views, and more.
- Platform Admin: a certified Platform Admin can implement the operating model, manages and upgrades the Collibra platform.
- Developer: a certified Developer can implement and deploy Collibra Connect integration templates and workflows, use the Collibra API.
- Ranger: a certified Ranger is the most comprehensive certificate offered by Collibra University. A Ranger is generally accountable for the operationalization and long-term roll-out and adoption of Collibra data governance solutions
The certifications build on one another, with Steward as the place to start. When you access the course catalog for the first time, you will be automatically assigned to the courses required to complete the Steward certification.
Once you have completed the prerequisite courses for a certification, simply complete a summative test to receive your downloadable certificate. We suggest hanging your certificate by your desk so everyone in your organization knows you’ve completed data governance certification! And, you will also receive a link to add your certification to your LinkedIn profile. You can also track your progress on our downloadable course roadmap.
During the recent Collibra Data Citizens Conference, we awarded the Ranger certificate to two outstanding data citizens. The Ranger Program is a training, evaluation, and certification program. It is the most comprehensive Collibra Data Governance credential that you can achieve through Collibra University.
As a customer, you want a Ranger on your side to make the most out of your investment in the Collibra platform.
As a consultant, you want to become a Ranger if you want to become a preferred implementation partner. A Ranger can look through the eyes of a steward or community manager, and knows how to configure the Collibra platform for their needs. The Ranger knows how to rollout the Collibra platform and devise strategies for wide adoption. The Ranger thinks out-of-the-box about unanticipated data use cases.
In order to demonstrate these competencies, Ranger candidates go through a number of assignments through which they build up a full ‘data governance’ portfolio and defended it to the Ranger board.
Collibra University is a great way for data citizens everywhere to learn new skills and expand their data governance credentials. Regardless of where your organization is in their data governance journey, you can benefit from Collibra University. So what are you waiting for? Visit Collibra University and get started on your journey to data governance certification.